The Street Tree Management Division is hiring Street Tree Inventory Specialists!
Deadline to Apply: Friday, June 1st, 2018
The Street Tree Management Division is hiring four Street Tree Inventory Specialists for six months starting in June 2018! These individuals are needed to record the species, size, and location of street trees located in the City of Philadelphia. This work will be mainly field based, using the Collector App for ArcGIS online with an iPad. The Street Tree Inventory Specialists will perform all work following established Philadelphia Parks & Recreation protocols to ensure quality, expertise and consistency of the data collection. The specialists will work closely with arborists in Parks & Recreation’s Street Tree Management Division.
Perfect for graduating seniors; folks interested in urban forestry and spatial analysis; and Philadelphians who want to give back to the city of Arborly love!
- Candidate must have experience in tree identification and arboricultural knowledge
- Currently enrolled in a degree program in Arboriculture, Forestry, Horticulture, or related field
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Arboriculture, Forestry, Horticulture, or related
- Preferred: Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Global Positioning System
(GPS) hardware, software, and terminology
- Hired employee must be a resident of the City of Philadelphia
- Reliable form of transportation to complete field work
- Able to work in outdoor conditions
- Familiar with data collection and GIS systems
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Able to read, interpret, and follow maps
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Familiar with the City of Philadelphia
- Applicants will be given a criminal background check
- Valid State driver’s license
Hours, Compensation, and Duration:
- This is a full time position, 37.5 hours per week (no benefits).
- Pay: $15.00/hr
- Approximate start date: June 4, 2018
- Length of Appointment: 6 months
- Positions Available: 4
Wissahickon Hall, 5795 Lincoln Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19144.
Deadline to Apply: June 1st, 2018
Materials required in your application for this position:
1. 1 or 2 page resume in PDF form or hard copy. The file name should include your first name,
your last name, and the word “resume” (eg: Mary Jones Resume)
2. 1 page cover letter in PDF form or hard copy. The file name should include your first name,
your last name, and the words “cover letter” (eg: Mary Jones Cover Letter)
Applications will be considered incomplete if they do not include the two items above, in
the lengths and title formats specified. You will be notified by email when your application is
Interested individuals should email a cover letter, resume and references to:
Operations District Manager
Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
One Parkway Building, 10th Floor
1515 Arch St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102